Contributing Photographer for: Washington Post, Baltimore Sun, Baltimore City Paper, Decibel, Noisey, SPIN.
“Just as Baltimore’s music scene has ascended the past few years, so has the career of Josh Sisk.” – Washington Post
“Top Ten Live Music Photo, 2011” – SPIN Magazine
“Top Ten Live Music Photo, 2012” – SPIN Magazine
“Best Photo Blog, 2012” – Baltimore Sun
If you are interested in my work or have any questions, please get in touch via this email form or email me directly at joshsisk at gmail dot com.
Other publications that my work has been featured in include: Rolling Stone, Revolver, Terrorizer, Guitar World, NME, the Guardian UK, Time Out!, URB, Blender, XLR8R, JPG, Baltimore Magazine, B Weekly, Urbanite, New York Press, the Stranger, CMJ, the Philadelphia Weekly, DC City Paper, GOOD, Ghetto Blaster, MixMag, among many others across the country and the world.
My work has also been featured in the books The Business of Professional Modeling & Design For Community, as well as on many notable web sites such as Pitchfork Media, Brooklyn Vegan, NPR, Vice, Flavorpill, Impose, Brightest Young Things, among many others.
Clients of mine include record labels (Domino, Mad Decent, Relapse, Ninjatune, Unruly, T&A, Deep Sugar, Carpark, Profane Lore, Thrill Jockey), institutions (MICA, Maryland State Arts Council), music promoters (Taxidermy Lodge, Unregistered Nurse, Nouveau Riche, Deep Sugar, Radar, Giant), companies (Altec Lansing, Dell Computers, Mountain Dew, J Shoe), cable channels (IFC) and venues (Sonar, the Ottobar, the Talking Head, the Golden West).
You can see a selection of my tearsheets here (or click the handy link on the left).
You might also have clicked on this looking for my flickr page?
Selected Exhibitions I have been involved it:
- Out of Order, Maryland Art Place, 2013
- Sleep: A Community Art Project, Wind Up Space, 2013
- LUX, Maryland Art Place, 2012 (Juror)
- Good Light, Current Gallery, 2012
- U+Nfest, Metro Gallery, 2012 (also curated)
- Fields of Vision: A survey of themes in contemporary photography, caseworks, 2012 (also co-curated)
- DC Fotoweek: Young @ Heart, Fotoweek Central, 2011
- Place To Place, various locations in Baltimore, 2011-2012
- New York Photo Festival : Audio/Visual juried show, NYC, 2011
- City Paper Low Budget Photo Show, Baltimore, 2011
- Full Speed Or Nothing : Music Photography by Josh Sisk & Kyle Gustafson, Windup Space, Baltimore, 2011
- Under the Strobe Light (solo show), Bijon, 2010
- Wild at Heart, Photoweek DC Satellite HQ (DC), 2010
- Last Call (solo show), Front Gallery (New Orleans), 2009
- Gutter: Two Year Retrospective, Paperwork (Baltimore), 2008
- Fourth Wall, Windup Space (Baltimore), 2008
- Brightest Young Things: the Re-Launch Photo Show (DC), 2008
- Black Metal Fast Food Fight, Lo-Fi Social Club (Baltimore), 2007
- The Pain of Being Dead, Read Street(Baltimore), 2007
- The Pain of Being Dead, Lo-Fi Social Club (Baltimore), 2006
- Sent: America’s First Phonecam Art Show, Sixspace (LA), 2004
Artistic “things” I have done:
- Visiting artist/critic at MICA, 2010-
- Guest Artist/Instructor at Baltimore Museum of Art, 2011
- Founding member, (In) Parenthesis photo collective, 2011-
- SPIN Top 10 Live Photos of 2011, 2012
- Guest Lecturer, Elev8 Baltimore “Masters of Photography” series, 2012
- Juror, Maryland Art Place Fall Juried Exhibition, “Lux”, 2012
- Mobby Winner, Best Maryland Photo Blog, 2012
(Very Incomplete) List of Releases featuring my photos:
- Agoraphobic Nosebleed “Agorapocalypse” LP/CD
- Agoraphobic Nosebleed “Merry Chrismeth” Music Video
- Dan Deacon “Bromst” LP/CD
- Dan Deacon “America” LP/CD
- Ed Schrader “The Choir Inside” 10″
- The Gift “Mostly In Sickness” LP
- Hollywood “Baltimore Queens” 7″
- Hollywood “Stunts” LP/CD
- Murder “Fuckpunk” LP
- Page 99/Majority Rule “live” LP/CD
- Pig Destroyer “Phantom Limb” LP/CD
- Pig Destroyer “Bookburner” LP/CD
You can see a different (also incomplete) list up at Discogs.
Interviews and press coverage:
- Baltimore photographers drop Instagram amid concerns that photos could appear in ads – Baltimore Sun
- Washington Post : Photographers share tips for budding shutterbugs
- BYT Q&A with Kyle Gustafson and myself.
- Video interview with me on Tittsworth.com
- Gutter.com interviews Kyle Gustafson and myself.
- Interview with me on TGRI Online.
- Interview with me on I Play Favorites.
- Washington Post : Must-See Photography Exhibits
- Washington Post April arts preview
- Washington Post: Click Track photographers Kyle Gustafson and Josh Sisk present “Full Speed or Nothing”
- Baltimore City Paper: Short List
- Baltimore City Paper: Event Listing
- Baltimore Sun: April 11 – 17 in nightlife
- Patch.com: Events
- Baltimore Sun article (mention)
- Baltimore Sun: Today’s Nightlife Photo
- A Baltimore Love Thing : Events
- Station North: Second Saturday In Station North
- Washington City Paper : Far Out vs Hot Dang
- Mobtown Shank : Tonight! Full Speed Or Nothing
- DCist: Weekend Picks
- Brightest Young Things: Photoshows — from Baltimore to Crystal City
Photo of me by Michael Byrne.